Friday, December 21, 2012

I'm sure a lot of you already know Scott Free from winning first place on the first ever Mixx Musik Contest. Scott Free, whose real name is Nate, lives in Southern California and has been making people dance since 2005. As an open format dj, Scott Free plays different genres of music and has great knowledge of how to combine them to create a unique sound. Among his many accomplishments, Scott had his "Winter Ressession 2.0" mix win second place in ClubDistrict.com's mix of the week.

In order to get to know more about DJ Scott Free we prepared the following Q&A.

 Q & A

Who gave you that initial push?
"I think the Southern California rave scene gave me a push. I was raving every weekend and I was infatuated by it. I eat and breathe house music ever since then"

Where did the name come from?
"I was going through some things in my life and the name matched how I was feeling at the time"

Influences?
"I'm highly influenced by two guys here in our local scene. Trackhed & Thee-o (search beatport and iTunes for "Trackhed" and "Thee-o")"

CDJs or vinyl? Why?
"I think it's important to learn the history of DJing. I think it's important to learn how hard it was to be a DJ in the 70s 80s and 90s, So that way you understand how easy we have it with the technology these days. I think it's important to learn on vinyl there's nothing like the feel of a vinyl record. I use and own both technics and pioneer 800 mk2s. I use my cdjs when I record house mixes but when I spin hip hop I prefer the feel of my technics"

What's the best event you've played at?
"I was lucky Enough to have the opportunity to travel to Reno and Tahoe and spin at a couple raves up there. It was an awesome experience"

Funniest thing that ever happened at an event?
"Lets just say this, I'm lucky I passed out after my set. Not a good look"

What's your personal favorite song of all time?
"This is a good question. If I had to pick one i guess it would have to be "Mommys little monster" - Social Distortion"

Any sort of rituals you do before of after an event?
"I pray. I pray that I make good choices in life and good choices in the DJ booth"

In your eyes, how is the music scene and where is it headed?
"Technology is amazing. It's never been easier to get heard. I mean you literally have hit songs being produced from bed rooms. It's getting real interesting I know that much"

What do you do outside the music scene?
"I'm a full time proud dad of a beautiful 5 yr old boy"

Anything else you would like to say? Any Shouts?
"Shout outs to PartyBoys Ent. Mixing Culture. Trackhed. Thee-o. My mom. My son & God"

 Scott Free's Contact Information:
Beatport | E-Mail | Facebook | Instagram | Soundcloud | Twitter